RE: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

A NAPT -- like a host -- has a limited amount of resources it
wants to dedicate to reassembling fragments.  But a NAPT is
in front of many hosts (and thus sees more fragments than
any one host).  To perform its NAPT function, the NAPT needs
to see the first fragment (containing port numbers); if the
packets arrive out of order, the NAPT needs to (a) discard
the fragments [causing the entire packet to be lost] or
(b) store the fragments until the first fragment arrives or
until a timer expires.

See also RFC 4963, "IPv4 Reassembly Errors at High Data Rates"
(used to be titled "Fragmentation Considered Very Harmful").

-d