Re: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

On 18 aug 2008, at 11:46, Rémi Després wrote:

However, we could come up with a new fragment header for both IPv6 and IPv4 that DOES have all the information NATs and firewalls need in the fragment header, as well as a larger ID field.

Fixing the problem for IPv6 may be worth the pain, but fixing it for IPv4 (the only subject of my comment) would IMO be counterproductive.

Counterproductive?

Do you know applications other than NFS on UDP that, needing to transmit longer than than 1280 octet datagrams, impose fragmentation even in IPv6?

Most applications have more than 1200 bytes of data to transmit, so potentially this could be most UDP applications, as well as ALL tunneling mechanisms. Now of course applications try to avoid this issue by sending smaller packets, but that's a terrible solution, because we'll never be able to use bigger packets when our link technologies improve.