RE: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

>> On one hand you say "managed by the ISP" and in the same sentence you
say "modem's software that can automatically configure ... the CPE
router".
>>  ^^^^^                                   ^^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^^

>> My head hurts...

Sorry.  Here is Tylenol for your head. It is a MUST in CableLabs (CL)
eRouter CM (cable modem) standard that after the CM has initialized its
cable interface and acquired an IA_PD then the CM MUST configure the LAN
interfaces.

>> If cable standards already define some part of CPE router behavior,
then what gaps is this draft trying to fill in?

Here are the gaps:

1. CL only specifies an embedded CPE Router.  We are defining a
standalone CPE Router.  There are enough difference between the two. Of
course, CL standard doesn't discuss cascading of routers since one does
not cascade a modem behind another modem.  The standalone router does
need to discuss cascading. The eRouter doesn't need to deal with LAN
init first mode but a standalone router does. The standalone router is
usually NOT managed at all by the SP.  There are numerous other gaps.

2. We are gathering requirements from the DSL world to also define a
standalone and embedded CPE Router suitable for DSL deployment.

3. We don't agree with certain behavior in the CL embedded Router IPv6
and that is why we present our view.

Some of the other reason we wrote this draft are as follows:

1.  We didn't want DSL going off on their own defining a CPE Router and
then break something for cable because cable already has a embedded
router standard defined.

2. IETF v6ops was discussing security ad nauseam for a home CPE Router,
but didn't have a specification for a CPE Router.

We have already seen enough evidence in v6ops that folks call all
problems and issues as Broadband issues when they clearly mean to
discuss only DSL.  For example, Cable doesn't need any link model draft
that came out recently that says it's a Broadband model. Yeah, right!
Call it your DSL model.  We know what our cable link, data models are.
We don't need the emails on Broadband/SOHO provisioning - cable has a
working provisioning systems, aggregator, and modem for IPv6 that are
cable standards compliant for IPv6.

>> Regardless of whether the modem were a DSL or cable or WIMAX modem,
etc., if there's no connection to the SP on startup then the WAN
interface is
>> basically not useable for anything until it does have connectivity to
the SP.  I think it's desirable that the behavior and desired end-state
of the >> CPE router should be determinate and not depend on the order
in which the interfaces acquire external connectivity.

Totally agreed.  Don't you see our LAN init first before WAN init define
deterministic behavior for a standalone CPE Router?  Our WAN init first
model is also deterministic.

We'll continue to work on DSL requirements and make some sensible
behavior out of them for the CPE Router.

Hemant