Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

On 2008-07-19 04:25, Alain Durand wrote:
> 2) ULA
>
> Supporting both ULA & GUA at the same time is also a source of complexity
> and confusion. The key problem I see is with external referrals in
> multi-party communications where some of the hosts are inside, and some are
> outside. Mixing ULA & GUA can have complex consequences, and again generates
> service call.
>
> Also, if I read the text correctly, if the WAN interface gets configured
> first, no ULA are generated. Which leads to confusing situation depending on
> whether the customer turns its modem on before or after its CPE.
>
> I would rather like the text to recommend to only use ULA when nothing else
> is available and immediately renumber to GUA when those are acquired.

IMHO that is only acceptable if there MUST be a configurable option
to support a ULA (generated once per factory-reset) in parallel with
a GUA, if that's what the user wants. I think that is needed for scenarios
where people want addresses for devices that are guaranteed never
to reply to external packets.

    Brian