RE: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

No.  See my earlier email to you that said when the CPE Router is
embedded in, say, a cable modem, then the WAN interface of the CPE
Router becomes an internal logical interface (as opposed to a physically
available port in a standalone CPE Router).  The logical interface
bridges to the cable modem.

No argument there.

The cable modem is definitely managed by the ISP

Perhaps this is true in some cable broadband networks but in my DSL world the DSL modem is un-managed by us and in most cases not by the customer either. Sometimes it's purchased by the end-customer, sometimes by us and shipped to the end-customer and it may have some local management control if it's got an integral NAPT router but regardless we do NOT manage it.

and it is this modem's software that can automatically configure the LAN interface(s) of the CPE Router. Cable standards have specified this automatic configuration by the modem.

On one hand you say "managed by the ISP" and in the same sentence you say "modem's software that can automatically configure ... the CPE router". ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ My head hurts...

The CPE Router when embedded in a cable modem has to comply to Cable standards.

If cable standards already define some part of CPE router behaviour, then what gaps is this draft trying to fill in?

When the WAN interface is internal to the modem there is no question of
useable or not.  The interface is not even visible to the user.

Regardless of whether the modem were a DSL or cable or WIMAX modem, etc., if there's no connection to the SP on startup then the WAN interface is basically not useable for anything until it does have connectivity to the SP. I think it's desirable that the behaviour and desired end-state of the CPE router should be determinate and not depend on the order in which the interfaces acquire external connectivity.

Antonio Querubin
whois:  AQ7-ARIN