Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

On 4 jul 2008, at 12:51, EricLKlein@softhome.net wrote:

Yes, I realise this, but I want my native IPv6 service offering to require a "router" class device, even if it means that this "router" only forwards traffic logically between the WAN link-local interface and it's internal loopback address (DHCPv6-PD assigned space).

Then I suspect you will be greatly disappointed as I do not see most of the devices that will be using IPv6 in the future fitting into this category. Cellular devices outnumber PCs today, and unless you plan to stretch the definition of CPE Router to include the ones at cell sites then you will find that more devices are not behind a CPE router than those that are. Look at the past 5 year trend to mobile internet (Cellular, WiMAX, etc.), RFIDs, Automotive and traffic systems, etc. These devices do not see a device that would fit into this document even though they eventually are served by a router.

The problem is that for hosts that connect to the IPv6 internet over ethernet or wifi, we have a widely implemented attachment model: router advertisements for a default gateway and on-link prefixes, router advertisements for address configuration, optionally DHCPv6 for address configuration and/or other config, and hopefully in the future router advertisements for DNS configuration. Except for the DNS stuff this works well.

The problem is that the service that comes out of the wall usually doesn't provide this. Now we could tell the ISPs to add a box to provide all of this, but it turns out that ISPs like it when they can buy boxes with well-defined functionality from different vendors. That's why we're trying to standardize all of this.

All these other systems that you mention use other attachment models, which are standardized elsewhere. (Inside or outside of the IETF.)