Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, EricLKlein@softhome.net wrote:

Then I suspect you will be greatly disappointed as I do not see most of the devices that will be using IPv6 in the future fitting into this category. Cellular devices outnumber PCs today, and unless you plan to stretch the definition of CPE Router to include the ones at cell sites then you will find that more devices are not behind a CPE router than those that are. Look at the past 5 year trend to mobile internet (Cellular, WiMAX, etc.), RFIDs, Automotive and traffic systems, etc. These devices do not see a device that would fit into this document even though they eventually are served by a router.

I have no problem broadening the scope of the document even further. I know very little of the mobile technologies you mention.

This is the old telco model, where there was a mandated telco owned CPE acting as a termination device. Cellular started the decline of this model as

In my market, for residential CPE routers, the telco doesn't own or manage the device to a large extent. Here, ISPs send out a list of "recommended CPEs" to use with the service, for which the ISP will be able to offer support/help in case of problems. If the customer runs into problems and has purchased other devices, the ISP will not be able to help with CPE router related problems.

Some ISPs bundle a device when you purchase the service, as the cost of the CPE is quite low in comparison to other aspects of the turn-up process, but it's still managed by the customer (but comes with sensible defaults).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se