Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

Mikael Abrahamsson writes:

Anyhow, in my mind a "host" is not so much of a name for a category of
devices, but rather a behavioral pattern of a node. At any given moment
a node can start to behave as a "router" (if that is defined only as
doing packet forwarding). For a network the node may still look like a
"host", if the node does this transparently for the network (i.e. with
help of NAT).

Yes, I realise this, but I want my native IPv6 service offering to require a "router" class device, even if it means that this "router" only forwards traffic logically between the WAN link-local interface and it's internal loopback address (DHCPv6-PD assigned space).

Then I suspect you will be greatly disappointed as I do not see most of the devices that will be using IPv6 in the future fitting into this category. Cellular devices outnumber PCs today, and unless you plan to stretch the definition of CPE Router to include the ones at cell sites then you will find that more devices are not behind a CPE router than those that are. Look at the past 5 year trend to mobile internet (Cellular, WiMAX, etc.), RFIDs, Automotive and traffic systems, etc. These devices do not see a device that would fit into this document even though they eventually are served by a router.

I did not think that was the idea either? If the end hosts would use
DHCPv6 PD, would that be an act of sourcing packets to IP core? If so,
could the delegating DHCPv6 server locate somewhere where "hosts" could
safely (from ISP point of view) talk?
The talking to ISP core is one differentiator, then we might(?) have:

I suggest that you try thinking of IPv6 as being used by non-ISP service providers, this may help with the differences we are discussing.
Hm, the problem is that i don't want customers in core IP space, and I don't want core in customer IP space.

This is the old telco model, where there was a mandated telco owned CPE acting as a termination device. Cellular started the decline of this model as did ISDN modems inside of computers. It worked when cellular used very little data, but with devices moving to VoIP and full data applications there will be routing and other activities down to the end user device. I doubt that we will go back to it. Even today you have this where WiFi on laptops serve additional devices acting as a hot spot (router) for them.
I want to protect it from IP packets from the global Internet.

I am sorry, these devices are like children, we have to let them out into the world unprotected. ;)
Eric