Re: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, EricLKlein@softhome.net wrote:

2. If so for all IPv6 end devices or just CPE routers that have other devices aggregated to them via copper, fiber, wireless?

My requirement is only for home gateway devices, I don't want to change the behaviour of end-hosts. My proposal is also to not remove any functionality or limit it, just to add. I am not aware of my proposal being in violation of any current wording in any document, but if it is, I volunteer to participate in work in getting it fixed.

3. What about other devices that act as a router but are the actual end-use device? Do we ignore them, create a diffrent RFC and then reference it?

I would say this is still a router, and it needs to choose a globally reachable PD-IP (either a LAN interface or a loopback interface) to use for communication with the outside world.

4. Is there a consensus that these are worth the WG taking up and dealing with?

I believe there are at least two people who have chimed in saying that they think this is a good idea, plus the authors of the draft also stated that they were willing to bring in wording to allow for it.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se