RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

Even if the CPE Router has a default router out the WAN interface to the
SP router, RPF may support a knob where "Allow default route to match
when checking source address" is not allowed.  One can configure a
router to disable checking the default route to match src-addr by RPF.

shark(config-if)#ipv6 verify unicast source reachable-via rx ?
  WORD           Access-list name
  allow-default  Allow default route to match when checking source
address
  <cr>

I have a spoofed packet with global src-addr input to the WAN interface
of a standalone CPE Router - the destination of this packet is the
global IPv6 address of a LAN interface.  Strict uRPF check will check if
the src-addr is reachable by a path thru the input interface which is
the WAN interface. The WAN interface, which is also a routed port has
only a link-local address.  So how can the global address have a path
thru the WAN interface that is assigned only a link-local address?

In general, if one even issues a ping to a global address and the ping
has to go out the WAN interface which only has a link-local address
configured, the ping will fail to head out because there is no valid
source address for destination.  See a test from my IPv6 Cisco router
where I have assigned only a link-local address to the network interface
(FE80::205:FF:FEE0:74CE) that is supposed to send the ping out.

shark#ping 2001:420:3800:800:203:BAFF:FE11:B644

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 2001:420:3800:800:203:BAFF:FE11:B644,
timeout is 2 seconds:

% No valid source address for destination
Success rate is 0 percent (0/1)
shark#
shark#sh ipv6 int br
Ethernet0/0/0              [up/up]