RE: new draft on IPv6 CPE router available for review

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

Hi,

I am happy with the writing of the first chapter of 5.3.2, but the second chapter perhaps needs to be lifted out of 5.3.2 as it refers to text both in 5.3.1 and 5.3.2 ? Perhaps the second chapter of 5.3.2 needs to be 5.3.3? If indeed intended for 5.3.2, perhaps the mention of WAN globally routable IP address is a typo?

In 9, would it make sense to also mention other queuing and marking mechanisms? I think home users would be very much helped by other queuing mechanisms than a few fifo queues? To my home (I use cisco routers) I have a fairly advanced set of bandwidth reservation queues and do fair-queue on the rest of the traffic, and this helps a lot compared to just fifo in each queue. I would love to see this functionality in smaller devices as well, as this would most likely help the "I have 24/1 ADSL and when I run bittorrent and upload, my download speeds drop)", as a more advanced queuing algorithm could prioritize TCP ACK packets (or just small packets in general). I believe Linux already has a lot of this, so for a vendor using embedded Linux, this would be fairly easy to enable and recommending it in the draft might help them in their decision to do so.

Apart from that, I am grateful that you included the unnumbered model as an option in the draft. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se