Re: New I-D on Carrier Grade NAT

Hi, Eric.
> Tomohiro Nishitani writes:
>> Hi,
>> I submitted new draft on Carrier Grade NAT.
>> "Carrier Grade Network Address Translator (NAT) Behavioral Requirements
>> for Unicast UDP, TCP and ICMP"
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nishitani-cgn-00.txt
>> Abstract of our draft is as follows:
>> ---
>> This document defines basic terminology for describing different
>> types of carrier-grade Network Address Translation (NAT) behavior
>> when handling Unicast UDP, TCP and ICMP. Developing carrier-grade
>> NATs that meet this set of requirements increase transparency of data
>> between carrier networks.
>> ---
>
> As much as I am all for killing NAT as soon as we can, I understand
> the potential need for such a device as currently carriers are doing
> just this using multiple devices (and frequently nesting NATs).
> I would prefer that the Abstract was changed to the following:
> This document defines basic terminology for describing different\types
> of carrier-grade IPv4 Network Address Translation (NAT) behavior when
> handling Unicast UDP, TCP and ICMP. Developing carrier-grade NATs that
> meet this set of requirements increase transparency of data between
> carrier networks.
> Where there is an emphasis on the fact that this is IPv4 only, not a
> backdoor for bringing NAT into v6.
> I also think you need to consider the requirements for non-stationary
> devices as these are starting to be more common and will complicate
> CGN to no end as they move from one cell site to another or into a new
> carrier while trying to maintain their IP session (most critical if it
> is UDP based).
> Eric
> Eric

I appreciate the decirption that developing carrier-grade NATs that meet
this set of
requirements increase transparency of data between carrier networks.

As you indicated, I don't consider movable devices. If a carrier
supplies wireless access
services, it may be need to consider your indication. I think trying to
maintain their IP session
may not be behavior of CGN but CPE or teminal.

Best Regard,

Tomohiro Nishitani

--

Tomohiro Nishitani
Chief, Network Systems and Technologies,