Re: New I-D on Carrier Grade NAT

Hi Tomohiro,
Tomohiro Nishitani writes:

I also think you need to consider the requirements for non-stationary
devices as these are starting to be more common and will complicate
CGN to no end as they move from one cell site to another or into a new
carrier while trying to maintain their IP session (most critical if it
is UDP based).
Eric
Eric
I appreciate the decirption that developing carrier-grade NATs that meet
this set of
requirements increase transparency of data between carrier networks.
As you indicated, I don't consider movable devices. If a carrier
supplies wireless access
services, it may be need to consider your indication. I think trying to
maintain their IP session
may not be behavior of CGN but CPE or teminal.

I am not sure how it works in 3GPP or other cellular data networks, but in 802.16e WiMAX there is an ASN (Access Service Network ), this is a device that is responsible for maintaining the session as the device crosses between cell sites, and carriers. (The Access Service Network in WiMAX: The Role of ASN-GW" http://www.mustafaergen.com/asn-gw.pdf)) This device may also be the one responsible for DHCP(v4 and v6). I am not sure how a CPE would be capable of telling the network where to pass an UDP session on to the next base station (cell site) without loosing the session, thus it is a feature of the CGN (as represented by the ASN gateway).
Eric