Re: Home network topology

On 15 mrt 2008, at 16:26, james woodyatt wrote:

A significant, and non-ignorable fraction of them will need to run an interior routing protocol behind the residential Internet gateway. One scenario is the remote worker whose office network is required by policy [or tax law] to be firewalled from their personal network.

That's not a good idea.

A routing protocol allows one router to tell another router which prefixes are attached to it. Although permutations where this is needed in a home network are conceivable, this is not the problem at hand. That would be how to get a router to discover which prefixes it should use on its interfaces.

Currently we only have DHCPv6 prefix delegation for this. If you have a hierarchy of routers that act as DHCPv6 PD clients in the upstream direction and as DHCPv6 PD servers in the downstream direction, this is a solved problem.

It gets more complex if there are routers in the middle that aren't involved in the DHCP PD process but which do need to know which prefix goes where. I think dhc is working on this but they haven't quite figured it out. In this case, it would be possible for a central DHCPv6 server to delegate a prefix and then have the router that got the prefix announce in using a routing protocol but this is a security and debugging nightmare even in an ISP network, let alone when the routing protocol needs to cross the ISP/customer demarcation point in the customer-to-ISP direction.

I tried to tackle a bunch of these issues in my "CPEs" message of january 4, but this didn't get much attention. I still think it would be best to try to come up with an integrated CPE / ISP service model for IPv6 but that can only work if there is a modicum of interest from service providers and CPE builders.