Re: 6to4 considered a bad thing

> At this point, if large IPv6-capable ISP's cannot be persuaded to deploy
> 6to4 relays in their interior IPv6/IPv4 routing domains for the use of
> their paying, retail IPv4 customers, then I have to say that 6to4 is a
> failure as a transition strategy, and we should move now to deprecate it.

It wasn't designed as a transition strategy (actually, nothing I've
worked on was designed as a transition strategy) but rather as a
coexistence tool. In fact 6to4 was specifically designed as a way
for cooperating sites and ISPs to get past IPv4-only ISPs. But I agree
that it's unfortunate if an IPv6-enabled ISP doesn't either offer
a 6to4 relay or offer IPv4 transit to an ISP that does offer a
6to4 relay.

I don't think that we can get this toothpaste back in the tube,
though.

   Brian