Re: 6to4 anycast IP as source address / PTR record

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, james woodyatt wrote:
On Jan 31, 2008, at 22:15, Pekka Savola wrote:
Only the host-based 6to4 approach has gained measurable deployment, which leads me to think that we should focus on that in the specifications.

<http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html>

The 6to4 router function is turned on by default in these products (currently). I'm confident in saying that deployment of these boxes is measurable. I've seen the measurements.

Maybe I should not have continued using that terminology, as it's prone to confusion. There are two cases here:

1) 'host-based 6to4' refers to the scenario described in Section 5.1 and Section 5.2 option 2.1 of RFC 3056. (Regardless of whether the 6to4 router is actually a host or router.)

2) the 'main model' advocated by Brian refers to the scenario described in Section 5.2 option 2.2 (also discussed in section 5.2.2.2). As far as I know, this has not seen any deployment.

My argument was that 2) is pretty much useless and even confusing, and the community would be best served if it was left out of a future revised specification.