RE: Issues in draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-02.txt

  Here is some more discussion on the relationship between preemption and
CT.  This started out as a response to the two emails sent by Shahram Davari
(see Attachment 1 and Attachment 2 below).  However, I want to discuss it in
a general setting, to trace a little bit on its development, and to explain
the rationale for the proposal for the one-to-one correspondence for
preemption/CT ("Issue 5: Relationship between preemption and CT" in the list
of issues for the DS-TE Requirement <draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-02.txt>).
  All comments are welcome.
Thanks, Wai Sum.

----------------

  Preemption and CT may be "orthogonal" or "independent" for protocol
design.  From a service provider's operational perspective, they are
actually closely coupled, as network performance will be affected by the way
they are related.  Consider the relationship between preemption (P) and
class type (CT) as a form of P -> CT mapping.  Then, there are four
possibilities: many-to-many, many-to-one, one-to-many, and one-to-one.

Many-to-many
------------
  Each CT can have many preemption levels, and each preemption level can be
associated with more than one CT.  This is the mapping originally specified
in the old 01 version of the DS-TE Requirements
<draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-01.txt> (June 2001) and the old 00 version of
Solution <draft-lefaucheur-diff-te-proto-00.txt> (July 2001).  It leads to a
rigid matrix structure of 4 class types x 8 preemption levels = 32
combinations, with both within-CT preemption and cross-CT preemption.  It
also requires complex IGP extensions for advertisement.  The problem in this
regard is discussed in <draft-ash-mpls-diffserv-te-alternative-02.txt> (July
2001).

Many-to-one
-----------
  In this case, there can be several preemption levels assigned to a single
CT.  But each preemption level is only used by a single CT.  This is the
approach now adopted in the new 01 version of Solution
<draft-lefaucheur-diff-te-proto-01.txt> (November 2001).  For example, a CT
can have a high-priority OA and a normal-priority OA combined.  To offer
service protection, e.g., to avoid starvation of the normal-priority OA when
preemption is allowed, different bandwidth constraints need to be specified
for different OAs in the CT.  My feeling is that this kind of defeats the
original purpose of CT, which is to use a single bandwidth constraint per CT
through aggregation to improve the scalability of IGP advertisement.  (Side
note:  This is also the case described in the "Overview and Principles of
TE" document.)

One-to-many
-----------
  Here, more than one CT can occupy the same preemption level.  But each CT
is only assigned one preemption level.  This case is not really necessary,
as it can be achieved by the one-to-one case below.

One-to-one
----------
  Each preemption level is assigned to one CT, and vice-versa.  By using the
proposal in <draft-boyle-tewg-ds-nop-00.txt>, i.e., by generalizing the
semantics of "priority" in current protocol extensions for TE, I think this
case can achieve much of what the other cases are intended to do.  For
example, CTs can be combined to allow better bandwidth sharing (the intent
of the many-to-one case) within a router, as a local implementation, without
resorting to IGP advertisement.  For the one-to-many case, it's a matter of
defining two different priorities to be the same preemption level.  Similar
considerations apply in the case preemption is not used.
  Note that, because of one-to-one correspondence, each combination of {P,
CT} effectively becomes a distinct CT.  Since there are 8 preemption levels,
there are 8 {P, CT} combinations.
  By using one-to-one mapping, the combination {P, CT} allows a more natural
correspondence with the services to be provided.  For example, {P=0, CT=EF}
corresponds to {high priority, voice}, {P=1, CT=EF} corresponds to {normal
priority, voice}, {P=2, CT=AF} corresponds to {high priority, data}, {P=3,
CT=AF} corresponds to {normal priority, data}.  Depending on whether {P=0}
and {P=2} are defined by a service provider as the same preemption level or
not, {P=0, CT=EF} and {P=2, CT=AF} may or not have higher priority over each
other.

ATTACHEMENT 1