RE: Issues in draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-02.txt

Wai Sum,

I largely agree with your comments and those of Shahram's....but the
fundamental point remains that there is no relationship between QoS behavior
(in the up-state) and survivability.  And the real problem is that at a
packet level the only information that is carried is the up-state QoS
behaviour.  So the only way out now is to try and map 'like' packets to an
LSP.....'like' could mean many things here, and its definition will vary
whether we are considering VPNs or aggregate public services.....and this is
what you/Shahram are starting to allude to below in the many-many, etc
possible mappings.

Some further comments/requirements:

1	When we are considering VPNs it must be possible to decouple the
survivability of a LSP from *whatever* packets it contains....it's different
for public service aggregates, though clearly we can have a voice/EF CT
mapped to different aggregate survivability levels here and that makes sense
(as you point out under the 1-2-1 case below).  So for VPNs we must have the
ability to define LSPs that have (i) survivability and (ii) effective BW
(across the aggregate, irrespective of pkt CT) attributes.  This is the only
way to properly offer VPN solutions to customers who demand such 'VPN
isolation'.  I have explained why LDP fails in this respect several times
before....merging is a blunt tool.

2	It must be possible to disable recursive pre-emption.  Those who
want it can have it, but we have had enough experience of this behaviour in
the past to know we need the ability to turn it off.  Dumping 'extra'
traffic is fine, but once dumped it stays dumped.  And from some comments I
have seen from AT&T previously it sounds like you too share this view.

3	A pre-cursor to any rigour wrt to the above is a sound ability to
fault-manage LSPs.  So all defects need defining, with specified entry/exit
criteria and consequent actions....and where protection-switching is but one
of the possible actions as appropriate.  There is a natural ordering here
which has to be followed:
-	define defects 1st....so this is entry/exit criteria and consequent
actions;
-	then define an availability metric based on defect persistence (note
I don't say 'objectives' for the metric);
-	then define QoS metrics (and again note I don't say 'objectives' for
the metrics)....since QoS metric collection/processing is only valid when in
the available/up-state.
All these aspects are important for vendor interoperability.

BTW - For some reason I have noted that some people seem to think MPLS OAM
is complex.....and I don't actually understand this since the basic
requirement (ie a CV flow) is about as trivial as you can get.  For those
who don't want it fine, just turn it off....but please don't stop those who
do want it from having it.

regards, Neil