Re: Examples of ASN.1 for SMIng.txt

At 06:05 AM 12/5/2001, John Larmouth wrote:
>I subscribed to this list in the expectation of some discussion of the
>solution proposed by Alessandro Tiglia in this mail and his ealier
>mailing of an Internet Draft, but there seems to have been little
>comment.
>
>The solution appears to meet all requirements, and I understand that a
>decision will be taken on rival options next week.
>
>Does silence on the mailing list mean assent, or simply that people are
>too busy?

Silence could mean a proposal is being ignored, or it
could mean nothing at all.

I don't think this proposed syntax is very user-friendly.
I strongly oppose using this syntax because it is not
familiar to a significant percentage of the user population.
The other proposals look like SMIv2, or C, or java -- syntaxes
that are already well-known.

Also, it does not appear that the ASN.1 proposal advances the
state-of-the-art in any significant ways.

>John L

Andy