[idn] RE: IURI questions

(reply to message on URI@w3.org, suggest the discussion of I18N of
domain names continue on idn@ops.ietf.org).

> Am I right to infer that the W3C work here at the Interest Group
> sits on top of the idns layer and therefore
> is very much dependent on the ietf effort moving forward ?
> (at least the internationalistion part of the URI activity here)

URI internationalization and DNS internationalization should be related,
but it's not clear which way to think about the dependency.

The examples given in "Today's Situation" at
 http://www.idns.org/ietf/IETF46.James/IDNS-James.Seng_files/frame.htm

give two examples where the problem is I18N of other parts of
the "URL" than the domain name (e.g. duerst@w3.org instead of
düerst@w3.org.)

However, the IDN group is focused on the domain name only.

> > * hex-encoded characters in URLs.  I just tried surfing to
> > www.%79%61%68%6f%6f.com, and on IE5, it takes me to www.yahoo.com, but
> > Netscape Navigator 4.6 can't find the server.

It's interesting that it works! The question is whether it should.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net