Re: Last call on extensions document?

Peter Deacon wrote:
>>  Which is a disaster for maintainable systems.  Having the RADIUS
>> response change because of modifications to DNS is terrible.  I strongly
>> oppose that kind of setup.
>
> Use of naming services to abstract network addresses is universal.  Kind
> of the whole point of using these systems in the first place.

  What I meant was that *unexpected* changes are a problem.  DNS is
nice, and useful for many things.  RADIUS policies are usually
relatively fixed.  Having them depend on DNS means that a non-RADIUS
admin can effectively update the RADIUS policies.

  I've seen this cause problems in practice, which makes me wary of it.

> Without combo IP the system needs *extra* intelligence to know the IPv4
> and IPv6 analogue for each attribute.  With combo IP this is unnecessary
> as the same attribute can be used and the system just works.

  The main way I can see combo IP being useful is if family-specific
attributes were to be deprecated.

  Unless there's a groundswell of support for it on this list, I don't
see combo-IP making it into the document.