Re: Last call on extensions document?

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Alan DeKok wrote:

As IPv6 is deployed following the current scheme of keeping address
families separated into separate attributes wherever addresses are used
will become problematic as cases where the address family is not known
in advance creep up.

 My $0.02 is that it would be better to use TLVs.  But I welcome an
inspired discussion on the topic. :)

In most cases where an attribute of type IP Address needs to be defined there will be a need for an IPv6 analogue of that same attribute.

Some examples:

Naming services
Access control and filtering
Flow export and logging servers
Application proxies (smtp, web content filter..etc)
App specific services

There are implementation costs and operational costs associated with the approach of segregating address families. Costs can be reduced somewhat with a ComboIP (Payload Len 4 = IPv4, 16 = IPv6) data type.

Currently:

1. Multiple attributes need to be defined.

2. Operators entering an IP Address into fields need to make sure they select the correct attribute based on the address family they are targeting.

Operators may enter a hostname and have the system enter the resolved address. In this case the operator may have no knowledge of the address family or it may change tomorrow!

The system will need to provide additional intelligence during the name lookup process to select the proper attribute based on address family for each instance.

We can live without however much like gigawords I believe with the new attribute space comes some opportunity to improve the standard framework for future attributes.

regards,
Peter