From: Stefan Winter [mailto:stefan.winter@restena.lu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:25 AM
To: Alan DeKok
Cc: Bernard Aboba
Subject: Re: TCP + TLS on the same port

   Hi,

And that is not even true for DTLS.
    Yes.  But NATs are bad. :(
They are. But they are also here to stay for a long while. I don't think we
should ignore them.

    It may be time to have an accounting NAK, with error-cause "can't
do it", or "no response from upstream".  But that's out of the scope
of this solution.
That would be good to have, agreed. But definitely out of scope.

This has consequences for the dynamic discovery though. The NAPTRs
and SRVs can't just be about service "radius". They then need to be
separate for "auth" "acct" and (maybe) "dynauth". That gets us pretty
close to dime's "application discovery in DNS" :-(
    Yup.  Any solution ends up being ugly.
Well, it's not so bad. At least in RADIUS, the service fields would be
limited to three different entries. Say, radius-auth, radius-acct,
radius-dynauth. In Diameter, there's a big number of applications, which
leads to a proliferation of service tags.

I think the effort to update the dynamic discovery draft to consider three
service tags is certainly doable; and I don't mind doing it.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER