From: Stefan Winter [mailto:stefan.winter@restena.lu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:25 AM
To: Alan DeKok
Cc: Bernard Aboba
Subject: Re: TCP + TLS on the same port

  Hi,

>> And that is not even true for DTLS.
>    Yes.  But NATs are bad. :(

They are. But they are also here to stay for a long while. I don't think we
should ignore them.

>    It may be time to have an accounting NAK, with error-cause "can't
> do it", or "no response from upstream".  But that's out of the scope
> of this solution.

That would be good to have, agreed. But definitely out of scope.

>> This has consequences for the dynamic discovery though. The NAPTRs
>> and SRVs can't just be about service "radius". They then need to be
>> separate for "auth" "acct" and (maybe) "dynauth". That gets us pretty
>> close to dime's "application discovery in DNS" :-(
>    Yup.  Any solution ends up being ugly.

Well, it's not so bad. At least in RADIUS, the service fields would be
limited to three different entries. Say, radius-auth, radius-acct,
radius-dynauth. In Diameter, there's a big number of applications, which
leads to a proliferation of service tags.

I think the effort to update the dynamic discovery draft to consider three
service tags is certainly doable; and I don't mind doing it.

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER