Re: On issue 6: Avi review of I-D Action:draft-ietf-radext-design-13.txt

My thinking on the applicability of design guidelines has always been pretty simple. It starts with the premise that any Standards Development Organization (SDO) is in the business of defining interoperable standards. If we can't all agree that this is a truism, we have deeper problems. Within that framework, the notion that what one SDO does will never impact any other SDO or the Internet Community at large is questionable. It may be true sometimes, but I don't believe it's universally true.

Within the scope of RADIUS Attribute design and compatibility, I think there are three levels:

(1) Attributes that are of interest to a single vendor, e.g., for a single product line. No cross-vendor interoperability is needed.

We use Vendor-Specific Attributes for these cases. The rules are pretty lax. Code-point allocation is managed by the vendor with the number space defined by their Private Enterprise Number (PEN).

(2) Attributes that are of interest to an industry segment and a single SDO that serves that industry. WiMAX is one example. Multi- vendor interoperability within an industry segment is expected.

We use SDO-Specific Attributes (SSA) for these cases, which are VSAs in terms of format and code-point allocation, using a PEN assigned to the SDO rather than one assigned to an individual vendor. The rules are more stringent. Compliance with the design guidelines is strongly encouraged, but review by outside agencies (the IETF, AAA Doctors, etc.) is purely optional.

(3) Attributes that are of broad interest to the Internet Community. Global Internet multi-vendor interoperability is expected.

We use Standard Attributes for these cases, with code-point allocation via IANA, subject to the appropriate IETF review and consensus. Strict conformance with the design guidelines is expected, unless a good case can be made for an exception, and those tasked with reviewing the proposals will almost certainly use the design guidelines as a review checklist.