Re: "Last Look" at the RADIUS Design Guidelines document

See inline...

On 18-01-2010, at 04:08 , Dave Nelson wrote:

>> Complex attributes may also be added to the dictionary such that the
>> RADIUS server does not require code changes to process these attributes.
>
> This may be true of a class of newer RADIUS server implementations, those
> with a "dynamic" data dictionary, but it is not true of another class of
> more "traditional" RADIUS servers, and it's those that this section intends
> to address.
Okay...

> As I said in a previous post, the plan is to recommend (via this BCP) that
> newly design RADIUS attributes not contribute to rendering a significant
> installed base of deployed RADIUS servers effectively obsolete.
>
> If we were talking about VSAs, this wouldn't be a concern.  We're talking
> about standards-tack attributes.
Okay then we should make sure that the document makes this clear.
The problem is the document talks about SDOs.  SDO work on VSAs not standard track attributes.

From the abstract we have:
"reviewers of future RADIUS attribute specifications, both within the
   IETF as well as other Standards Development Organizations (SDOs)."

>  If all you have to worry about is the
> class of "enhanced capability" RADIUS servers, then I would agree.  In the
> IETF, we need to take a broader view, I think.
Which is fine but I think you have to document this distinction.  That is a problem with this BCP only people who read these long email threads will understand what is really going on.