Re: "Last Look" at the RADIUS Design Guidelines document

On 18-01-2010, at 19:10 , Alan DeKok wrote:

> Wojciech Dec (wdec) wrote:
>> This would precisely be what one calls an "implementation choice".
>
>  Or "15 years of RADIUS practice".

Some people have evolved their RADIUS practice....

>> I'd
>> again suggest that the Radius WG could do much better then trying to
>> deal with issues that are actually implementation issues, which does go
>> to the heart of a lot of the arguments on this thread.
>
>  Then my position has not been sufficiently clear.
>
>  The issue is whether the document should describe only a subset of
> implementations.

It is describing a subset -- and its not clear that its doing that.

>  There have been repeated statements that the document describes a
> model which does not apply to current implementations.  These statements
> are false.

That is true.  Some vendors and deployments are totally happy with legacy RADIUS servers/clients.

>  The follow-on requirement is to remove text which describes the
> traditional model, and to insert text which describes a "modern" model.
> The resulting document would describe a significantly reduced subset of
> RADIUS implementations.
If you want to cover legacy then be very explicit about that.

If you want to cover both then there is more work to do.

>  The document would cease to be a RADIUS BCP.  It would become an SDO
> BCP, and would describe practices that are SDO specific.
>
>  If you want such a document, go write it in an SDO.
IETF is an SDO by David's argument or yours - cant remember which.

But I would be okay if the document clearly stated in "Blinking 50 pt font" that it is applicable to deployements that utilize legacy RADIUS servers/clients....in the abstract and the applicability section.