Re: Question About Task #6 in the Charter

At 03:29 AM 8/4/2002, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

>6. Configuration and Management. Define a packet sampler MIB to reside

>   at the network element, including parameters for packet selection,

>   packet report and stream format, and export. Select or define a

>   communication protocol to configure/read this MIB.

I should have asked this when the Charter was out for review, but I somehow missed the opportunity. It is not too late however, to ask now for clarification. I am confused by the need to select or define a new protocol. Should the same protocol be used for packet selection, report, and export? Is this sampler MIB an SMIv2 MIB?

The configuration and status of a packet sampler entity will be defined with
an SMIv2 MIB and the protocol used will be SNMPv3. The exported reports will
not be available through a MIB, and will not be transported with SNMP.
The report format and associated protocol are TBD by the WG.  The MIB
development intentionally lags the other work to allow us to figure out
all the knobs and dials first.

Thanks,

Dan

Andy