Re: I-D ACTION:draft-kulkarni-netconf-subagent-prot-00.txt

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
To me this means two things:

1. Maybe it's not that much about netconf lacking an architecture, but
about not having documented the architecture that draws the relation
between protocol and implementation
2. Defining a way to organize data in netconf may need to happen before
we can talk about standardizing something like a master-subagent
protocol

I seem to remember a massive amount of effort
going into the SNMPv3 architecture, and its ASI definitions,
yet implementors found it less than relevant.  It turned
out that not 1 implementation followed the ASIs.

IMO, we are in a discovery stage, in which developers are
trying to go beyond the SNMP "peek/poke" architecture, to a service
oriented architecture, focusing on high-level operations, not data models.
If we create a NETCONF architecture now, based on what we learned
from SNMP (and a tiny bit of NETCONF) we will probably not end
up with a viable long-term solution.

Dan
(speaking as a low-bandwidth contributor)

Andy