RE: I-D ACTION:draft-kulkarni-netconf-subagent-prot-00.txt

HI,

Some people love AgentX. I don't, since I believe that it
represents a failure of the managed system to provide
"usable" control paths that can be used for SNMP. And
I believe that a netconf-subagent would proprogate
forward such failures.

Lets assume we buy the argument of "let's be practical -
it's easier to add another control path in a system than
to fix the existing control path(s) to add support for
another management interface", and look at the costs
of AgentX. First, it limits changes in the management
protocol. When Wes and I (and others) wanted to add
an improved retrieval operation to SNMP, it couldn't
really be done with AgentX, since it didn't support
it. (And also, if you want to add caching in the
"master", the AgentX protocol is not very efficient
for doing this.) There are other protocol limitations
due to AgentX. In addition, there are access control
issues with agentx, primarily with not making the
security identity from the request available to subagents.

So, I haven't read the details of the netconf-subagent
proposal, but I do have concerns based on both issues
voiced by andy, but also from the SNMP agentX experience.

Regards,
/david t. perkins