Re: Callhome draft?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for this clarification.

As I said in a previous email, this feature is generic
enough that the protocol-independent bits should be
done one way, in one document.

There are protocol-specific bits, like the impact on the
capabilities list in the NETCONF <hello>.

IMO we also need a standard "reason-for-calling-home" mechanism.
(Perhaps just a message, not rigid standard content).

The other features are just bells and whistles.

Andy

Hi,

It is unclear from your message just which proposal you refer to when
saying Juergen presented a solution. I have seen a number of porposals
considered in ISMS that relate to callhome, but none so far that solve
all the problems.

I don't believe that Juergen's proposal has been accepted by the ISMS
WG yet. There is ongoing discussion about multiple approaches to
session reuse and callhome functionality and data access controls that
are related.

As editor of the TMSM and SSHSM WG drafts, I believe the current
consensus in ISMS is to permit session reuse regardless of whether the
session was created as a R/R session or a notification session, in
order to support a callhome functionality, if we can resolve the
security issues presented by a client-server transport session versus
the SNMPv3/VACM security requirements.
Stay tuned, but the ISMS "solution" is not yet ready to be the basis
of the Netconf WG solution.

David Harrington
dharrington@huawei.com dbharrington@comcast.net
ietfdbh@comcast.net