From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On
Behalf Of McDonald, Ira
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 11:02 AM
To: 'Andy Bierman'; Randy Presuhn
Cc: netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Character encoding for Netconf messages?

Hi,

The IESG policy on charsets has been stable for years,
since publication of BCP 18/RFC 2277 (January 1998).
Verbatim from section 3.1 'What charset to use':

  "All protocols MUST identify, for all character data, which charset is
   in use.

   Protocols MUST be able to use the UTF-8 charset, which consists of
   the ISO 10646 coded character set combined with the UTF-8 character
   encoding scheme, as defined in [10646] Annex R (published in
   Amendment 2), for all text.

   Protocols MAY specify, in addition, how to use other charsets or
   other character encoding schemes for ISO 10646, such as UTF-16, but
   lack of an ability to use UTF-8 is a violation of this policy; such a
   violation would need a variance procedure ([BCP9] section 9) with
   clear and solid justification in the protocol specification document
   before being entered into or advanced upon the standards track."

So, either an IETF standards-track protocol MUST only support
UTF-8 (so that tagging is irrelevant over the wire) or it MUST
always tag the charset in use in every over-the-wire message.

If Netconf permits the use of UTF-16 over the wire without an
'encoding' attribute in the XML declaration, then Netconf needs
a variance - not easy to get.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc