RE: Verbs Again

Phil,

I can not fully agree with you here. My understanding is that you can do
something like this (probably with a different URN):

      <get-config>
         <source>
           <running/>
         </source>
         <filter type="subtree">
           <top xmlns="http://example.com/schema/1.2/config";>
             <syslog-streams/>
           </top>
         </filter>
       </get-config>

I understood netconf-prot so that a config must not necessarily be
writeable. Of course, that would be best. But looking at your scenario
below: what if you create the syslog-streams object by whatever
vendor-specific method you have but still provide read-only access to a
standardized (but virtual) syslog-streams object? So even the
configuration does not natively support syslog-streams, it still allows
a manager to deal with your syslog-streams, provided you advertise the
capability. If then I modify the stock linux syslogd to support netconf,
I could also provide read-only access to a standardized syslog-streams
object. Again, it would be virtual, because my stock syslogd config is
quite different from what you have in your JUNOS config.

The benefit of these virtual read-only syslog-streams config objects
would still be that a manager could handle them in a vendor-neutral way.
Even though different vendor-specific data models are required to setup
that virtual config, it could be useed in a device-independent way.

As far as syslog is concerned, I think a useful least common denominator
writeable syslog-config object could also be defined. It is my firm
belief that it would not be much of a burden to implement this even on
very different configuration models (because the base objects are quite
obvious and supported by all implementations anyway).

I hope I have not overlooked anything obvious.

Rainer