Re: Verbs Again

Phil Shafer wrote:
Martin Bjorklund writes:
Again, suppose an agent actually did make this data configurable
through NETCONF.  First of all, it would have to do this in a
vendor-specific way.  Second, it would have to make this data
available _both_ as a normal <get-config> part, _and_ as a new RPC,
<get-syslog-streams>.

The config is vendor-specific, by nature, and the translation from
this form to a standard data model isn't always straight-forward.

We spent a long time getting WG consensus, IESG consensus, and
IETF consensus on the operations in prot-12.  We are going to
use them.

The SNMP WG managed to define a standard data model to configure
which SNMP notifications to send, and where to send them.
If we can't do the same for NETCONF, then I don't see the point of this
exercise at all.

We managed to define a filtering mechanism (+ Xpath) for filtering
XML payloads in <get-config> and <get> operations without too
much trouble.  Sharon managed to define some filtering mechanisms
for notifications that are content-neutral.

The NETCONF WG is not the right place to standardize syslog-specific
details.  We should only be defining netconf-specific notification delivery
parameters.

Take a look at the config groups and commit scripts features in JUNOS
and think about how the mapping from device config to standard config
isn't trivial:

http://www.juniperfederal.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/swconfig61-getting-started/html/cli-config-groups2.html

http://www.juniper.fi/techpubs/software/junos/junos76/swconfig76-automation/html/commit-scripts-overview.html

These are slick features that reduce the size and complexity of the
configuration.  The trade-off is that what you see from "show
configuration" (or <get-config>) isn't the config the system
components see (unless you use the "display" pipes).  In addition,
stuff like "inactive" configuration can cloud the issue further.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos57/swconfig57-getting-started/html/cli-configuration-mode43.html

While these features are outside the WG's concerns, they are inside
mine ;^)

The WG is just trying to standardize what is common and
has WG consensus.  This process is independent of proprietary
efforts that may overlap in some areas.

In operational mode, the user sees full operational impact of the
expanded configuration, so the CLI's "show log" will see all the
defined syslog streams, regardless of where they came from.  This
same information is available via the <get-syslog-streams> operation.

Thanks,
 Phil

Andy