Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
Andy,

You are correct.
We have separate issues here, but we also do not
all have the same end result in mind, and that is a problem.
The WG meeting in Montreal will be devoted to reaching
more agreement on the functional requirements.

NETCONF is content-neutral protocol, so syslog content
is certainly within scope, but so is anything else.
If designed correctly (like the <rpc> and <rpc-reply> PDUs)
the notification content will just be "well formed XML payload"
within the notification PDU.  The namespace URI for the
payload elements will identify the structure of its contents.

As for verbs vs. data, there 2 points not open to debate
wrt/ any standard mechanisms developed by the NETCONF WG:

 1) Any NV-stored parameters will be defined in a standard data model
    suitable for use with the base protocol operations for
    manipulating NV-stored config data.

 2) Any monitoring data (e.g., netconf protocol statistics and state)
    will be defined in a standard data model suitable for use with the
    <get> operation.

I have already asked the WG to comment on both the I-Ds
as they pertain to the requirements list Juergen has been maintaining.
There are (different) parts of both drafts I like
and don't like.  I don't think this is a "one draft or the other draft"
situation across the board.  There are many "1 or the other" decisions
to make though.

Andy

I have to admit that I actually misunderstood you. Both your reply below
as well as the message sent somewhat later made this clear.

If I now understand you correctly, you remind us that the charter calls
for a standardized notification method and related data model - and not
something syslog-specific. I see the reasoning for this position.

HOWEVER, IMHO that implies the discussion about verbs vs. data model on
Phil's draft is the wrong one. What should be discussed firsthand is if
the draft itself is supported by the WG or not. Phil's draft is all
about transporting syslog over netconf. The argument is that there is a
wealth of information in syslog that a netconf manager might want to see
(natively). But still, the focus of the draft is transporting syslog.
The quesion of verbs vs. data model is a secondary one (and I think
there my comments still applys).

I would suggest that we first discuss if the overall idea (transporting
syslog over netconf in *addition* to a generic event notification
transport) is within the scope of this WG. If so, we can then look at
the specifics (like verb usage). I am too inexperienced with netconf to
offer a qualified opinion on that firsthand question. I can, however,
contribute to the details if it is WG consensus to follow that route.

Rainer

Phil wants to transport syslog messages. I do not think there is a
specific data model for a syslog messages needed, at least
at this time
and in the NETCONF WG alone. The entity "syslog message" is
well-defined, so you do have a single element inside a syslog event
notification. Over time, I agree, it would be useful to
have an extended
data model that specfies detailled semantics for syslog
messages (and
probably notifiation messages at all). This, however, I think is far
beyond the current discussion. I consider it to be a
separate effort,
probably even in a separate WG that draws people from the syslog and
netconf WGs.

I'm not sure there is WG consensus that the only type
of notification data that can possibly be delivered
in netconf is syslog/RAW.

But you misunderstood my comments anyway.

The netconf WG is defining standard parameters for the
configuration of agent filtering of notification delivery.
There is also the possibility of standard monitoring variables
for netconf notifications.

These are the standard data models that I am referring to,
not the content of syslog messages or any other notification
content.

Andy