RE: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Andy,

I have to admit that I actually misunderstood you. Both your reply below
as well as the message sent somewhat later made this clear.

If I now understand you correctly, you remind us that the charter calls
for a standardized notification method and related data model - and not
something syslog-specific. I see the reasoning for this position.

HOWEVER, IMHO that implies the discussion about verbs vs. data model on
Phil's draft is the wrong one. What should be discussed firsthand is if
the draft itself is supported by the WG or not. Phil's draft is all
about transporting syslog over netconf. The argument is that there is a
wealth of information in syslog that a netconf manager might want to see
(natively). But still, the focus of the draft is transporting syslog.
The quesion of verbs vs. data model is a secondary one (and I think
there my comments still applys).

I would suggest that we first discuss if the overall idea (transporting
syslog over netconf in *addition* to a generic event notification
transport) is within the scope of this WG. If so, we can then look at
the specifics (like verb usage). I am too inexperienced with netconf to
offer a qualified opinion on that firsthand question. I can, however,
contribute to the details if it is WG consensus to follow that route.

Rainer