Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
Andy,
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On Behalf Of Andy Bierman
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:53 PM
To: Phil Shafer
Cc: Sharon Chisholm; netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Phil Shafer wrote:
Andy Bierman writes:
Unless standard data shows up in exactly the same place,
with the same syntax and same semantics, using the <get> operation,
then it isn't a standard that meets this requirement.
Does <get-config> pass that test?

Data model discovery becomes quite a nightmare if a manager
has to know priori, each different set of special RPCs to
use for every device it manages, and try them all to discover
the entire device configuration and state.
Yes, this is a hard problem.  But thinking that all devices will
instantly converge on a new standard data model won't fly.

This is where we strongly disagree.
If they want to conform to the standard "notification" capability,
then they will do everything that is specified, including
implementing the tiny standard data model in the spec.

Phil wants to transport syslog messages. I do not think there is a
specific data model for a syslog messages needed, at least at this time
and in the NETCONF WG alone. The entity "syslog message" is
well-defined, so you do have a single element inside a syslog event
notification. Over time, I agree, it would be useful to have an extended
data model that specfies detailled semantics for syslog messages (and
probably notifiation messages at all). This, however, I think is far
beyond the current discussion. I consider it to be a separate effort,
probably even in a separate WG that draws people from the syslog and
netconf WGs.

I'm not sure there is WG consensus that the only type
of notification data that can possibly be delivered
in netconf is syslog/RAW.

But you misunderstood my comments anyway.

The netconf WG is defining standard parameters for the
configuration of agent filtering of notification delivery.
There is also the possibility of standard monitoring variables
for netconf notifications.

These are the standard data models that I am referring to,
not the content of syslog messages or any other notification
content.

Andy