Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Andy Bierman writes:
>If they want to conform to the standard "notification" capability,
>then they will do everything that is specified, including
>implementing the tiny standard data model in the spec.

For netconf to be widely accepted we need to minimize the price of
implementation, leveraging existing software features and configuration.

For example, JUNOS configures its syslog logging under the "system
syslog" statement, where a set of files (and remote destinations)
are configured.  Using the mechanism in the draft, I can expose
these files as streams for netconf clients with fairly low
implementation costs.

If the cost of implementing netconf is moving every config statement
to a new hierarchy and reimplement all software to fit this new
netconf world, then netconf is going nowhere.

Thanks,
 Phil