Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Hello,
Some comments to the netconf-syslog draft:
1) If I want to refer to data in my configuration store how do I do that in the syslog solution? 2) If I want to refer to a previous Netconf operation in syslog I have to embed the Netconf sessionId, messageId and some additional XML in syslog in a proprietary way. Not so nice.
3) Do we need call-home for syslog?

While this solution is good for nodes that already use syslog, for those that do not, this is an additional protocol layer that you have to wrap your information in. Additional work.
Also I see a risk that we might delay standardizing a number of important features like:
how to refer to the data model and other netconf operations in netconf notifications

I would rather support Sharon's idea to provide syslog as one option for netconf notifications but definitely not the main method.

Balazs