Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Phil Shafer a écrit :
I've finally got an initial version of the draft for a netconf
capability that makes syslog data available over long-lived RPCs.
I just sent it off to the RFC Editor, so it should show up on
ietf.org sometime this weekend, but an advance copy is available.

http://professional.juniper.net/phil/ietf/draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt
A few comments and questions:

I don't really understand the design choice of the get-syslog-streams operation because I think it breaks the idea of the get-config operation. IMHO, even if it is feasible and allowed by Netconf, nothing here justifies the need of a new operation.

<rpc xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
 <get-syslog-streams xmlns="http://ietf.org/netconf/syslog/1.0"/>
</rpc>

Wouldn't it be more conform to Netconf to define a short data model for syslog streams and use the regular get-config with a selection node ? The reply would be exactly the same as the one you described in the draft (except the <data> element of course).
<rpc xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
 <get-config>
   <source>
     <running/>
   </source>
   <filter>
     <top>
       <syslog-streams xmlns="http://ietf.org/netconf/syslog/1.0"/>
     </top>
   </filter>
 </get-config>
</rpc>

For the second part 3.2, I am confused. What happens if I send a get-syslog-events with a stop-time one hour later ? Can I still use this Netconf session to send other RPC during this time ? I guess no. The Netconf session would be locked for a long period of time.

If I understand well, this approach assumes that the agent is parsing the XML data stream on the fly (like with SAX, but not DOM). Because the rpc-reply does not seem to be closed until a stop condition happens and DOM can not read a partial document. If this is the case, must the agent assume that the rpc-reply message will be valid before it received the whole message ? And process it ?

Regards,
Vincent

Thanks,
 Phil

begin:vcard
fn:Vincent Cridlig
n:Cridlig;Vincent
org:LORIA - INRIA Lorraine, France;Madynes
adr:;;;Nancy;;;France
email;internet:cridligv@loria.fr
title:PhD Student
tel;work:+33 (0)3 83 59 20 48