Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Phil Shafer <phil@juniper.net> wrote:
> Vincent Cridlig writes:
> >I don't really understand the design choice of the get-syslog-streams
> >operation because I think it breaks the idea of the get-config operation.
>
> Syslog stream definitions are not limited to configuration, since
> the device may define default streams.

So a manager can do <get> to retreive this info.

Suppose an agent actually did make this configurable.  Without a
standard data model, the vendor will have to invent his own model for
this data.  That means that different vendors will use different
models.  So even if there's a standard way to view the data
(get-syslog-streams), there's no standard way to write it.
Furthermore, this data will be available through two different rpcs,
get-syslog-streams and with a vendor-specific namespace through
get-config.

If on the other hand a standard data model is used, there would be a
standard way to read (<get>) and write (for the agents that support
it).

/martin