Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Phil Shafer wrote:
Andy Bierman writes:
I also don't understand the obsession with calling everything
"subscription data" instead of "configuration data", and insisting
that NV-storing this subscription data is not important, not useful,
or not "simple enough" for the manager to use.

I don't understand this comment wrt my draft.

I prefer to use <edit-config>, <get-config>, and standard data models
to configure aspects of this feature such as filtering parameters.

Sharon started in the right direction with a data model, but just
for monitoring.  IMO we should really get out of the SNMP and CLI
mindset that standard data models for configuration are either too hard
or too proprietary for the IETF to touch.

The notion that CLI is all "special command driven" and not actually
data is not really true.  ACLs, Dialer plans, static routes, etc.
are all NV-stored data.  (Imagine how well ACLs would work if
there were none until the root user logged in and "configured"
them all with RPC calls. ;-)

Andy

The draft's model is that the device defines a set of streams.  This
is not subscription data, nor necessarily configuration data.  What
I like is that it gives the device control over what applications
can see, and prevents applications from asking for everything if
the admin denies it.

The stream approach also gives a recording mechanism (the device
records each stream, not all events) so that an application user
can hit the "what went wrong" button and see a list of recent
messages, possibly from before the application was launched.

 * Some parameters like "retrieve since time N" are session-specific,
   and belong only in the RPC, not the config (obviously).  Some
   parameters like "get me the next 3804 notifications" seem pretty
   complicated and not very useful.  I prefer only 1 mode:
     - get since time N (or sequence-id X) and keep going until the session
       is shut down

The two main scenarios I see are monitoring a stream and viewing the
recorded data from a stream.  Both are important facets of how syslog
events are handled today.

It's a "more" .vs. "tail -f" issue.  ;^)

Thanks,
 Phil