Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Andy Bierman writes:
>I also don't understand the obsession with calling everything
>"subscription data" instead of "configuration data", and insisting
>that NV-storing this subscription data is not important, not useful,
>or not "simple enough" for the manager to use.

I don't understand this comment wrt my draft.

The draft's model is that the device defines a set of streams.  This
is not subscription data, nor necessarily configuration data.  What
I like is that it gives the device control over what applications
can see, and prevents applications from asking for everything if
the admin denies it.

The stream approach also gives a recording mechanism (the device
records each stream, not all events) so that an application user
can hit the "what went wrong" button and see a list of recent
messages, possibly from before the application was launched.

>  * Some parameters like "retrieve since time N" are session-specific,
>    and belong only in the RPC, not the config (obviously).  Some
>    parameters like "get me the next 3804 notifications" seem pretty
>    complicated and not very useful.  I prefer only 1 mode:
>      - get since time N (or sequence-id X) and keep going until the session
>        is shut down

The two main scenarios I see are monitoring a stream and viewing the
recorded data from a stream.  Both are important facets of how syslog
events are handled today.

It's a "more" .vs. "tail -f" issue.  ;^)

Thanks,
 Phil