RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Phil,

congrats to this good draft. I've just reviewed it from the syslog guy's
perspective. I will provide some thoughts to the currently ongoing
discussions and then provide a summary from the syslog perspective. I am
a lurker on this list, so I might misstate some netconf-related issues,
but I have tried to focus on syslog as much as possible.

> Shane Kerr writes:
> >Nicely done. One concern I have is difficulty for clients to actually
> >get historical messages without duplication.
>
> The <start-time> doesn't really give a duplication-free guarantee,
> but one can increase the resolution of the log files (we optionally
> add milliseconds) to reduce the duplication.

The timestamp syslog-protocol allows for microsecond resolution. So
refering to it should be sufficient. It might be a good idea to request
implementations of netconf syslog receivers to  support microsecond
resolution, which is optional in syslog.

Rainer