RE: Verbs or data model [was: Session reuse]

hi

I was driving home last night thinking about how of all the notification
receiver applications I've worked on over the years only one attempted
to perform automatic notification subscription. In thinking about why
this was, aside from the complexity issue which I've already discussed,
there is the support issue. Not all devices supported the MIB in SNMP.
You could argue again that this was the complexity issue, but I think it
also goes to the fact when we delegate everything to the data model,
implementations have a difficult time figuring out which are the
important bits to support or else start to support a proprietary chunk
of data model which they think is better/simpler/cooler instead. I think
this deviation is more obvious with verbs, assuming of course we have a
finite number of them.

So, verbs signal that this 'thing' is important so you should support it
and support it exactly this way. It's good for interoperability. I am
hoping there are other ways to solve this as well, since I am sure there
will be key bits of data model we will want people to support.

Sharon