Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Shane Kerr writes:
>Nicely done. One concern I have is difficulty for clients to actually
>get historical messages without duplication.

The <start-time> doesn't really give a duplication-free guarantee,
but one can increase the resolution of the log files (we optionally
add milliseconds) to reduce the duplication.

>Plus, using time means server clock skew would cause almost unlimited
>confusion. :)

The value for <start-time> will most likely be the timestamp of the
last message received from the server, assuming a connection failure.
In this case, the timestamp will be assigned by the server and it
will be interpreted by the server, so clock skew shouldn't matter.

>I think it would be much nicer to assign a unique identifier to each
>event. I recommend an increasing number. In this case, the server would
>only need to output the number at the beginning of the answer (and maybe
>periodically also). The client knows what the last event it received is,
>because it increments for each one.

A sequence number will interfere with filtering, since the client
won't see monotonically increasing numbers, as messages will be
dropped.  It also introduces a number of complex issues that go
against my KISS attitude, such as the lifespan of the sequence,
sequences for multiple streams, and the interaction for messages
that match multiple streams.  Not unsolvable, but not a priority.

Thanks,
 Phil