Re: comments on draft-ietf-netconf-notification-01.txt

In the current draft even short lived subscriptions (session based) can be queried (Section 3.2) so to me they seem to be data.

In Ericsson we need persistent receivers. Imagine a management station that manages 5000 nodes. When the management station restarts it does not want to go and subscribe 5000 times if this can be avoided.

On the other hand I don't see any reason not to support session based subscriptions either.

regards Balazs

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

What I am interested in is to have an easy mechanism to request that
notifications are directed to a given session (by default 'this'
session if we allow mixed content) and to have that request bound to
the lifetime of the session. In other words, I am thinking of a
subscription which establishes operational state rather than a change
of the configuration of the device and hence <edit-config> might not
be the primitive of choice.

You are looking for ways to configure persistent notificiation
receivers and I agree that this is essentially a configuration change
and so <edit-config> seems to be the appropriate primitive to use.

I think the first decision to take is whether the WG wants to support
both, one, or none of the use cases.

--
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager