Re: comments on draft-ietf-netconf-notification-01.txt

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:31:31PM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
> I think a combined approach would be acceptable:
>
> 1) Define a data model for all the parameters that control/monitor
>    the notification subscription, so that it can also be used by the
>    agent without any manager subscription.  I.e., a table indexed by
>    a name string containing one 'row' per parameter set.  A separate
>    table for reusable filters is also needed.
>
>    A notification target table is also needed which is completely
>    independent of the session-subscription API.  Parameters such
>    as the notification receiver address, user name, and user credentials
>    need to be included to configure a traditional notification
>    generation application.
>
> 2) Use standard operations such as <edit-config> to manipulate
>    all notification parameters, even for changing profiles in use.
>    <create-subscription> and all other special RPCs go away.
>
> 3) A new special RPC <start-notifications> is used
>    for a manager to start receiving notifications.
>    There is no subscription ID because there is only one
>    stream of notifications on this session, which can be changed
>    by editing the configuration.
>
>    The <stop-notifications> RPC is used to tell the agent to
>    cease notification generation for the session.
>
> 4) There is no real need for <suspend> and <resume> because
>    the parameters passed in <start-notifications> are trivial.
>
> 5) mixed-mode vs. endless-RPC is very problematic.
>    I could live with mixed-mode, but I don't want
>    the WG coming back next year asking for a lot
>    of complicated hacks to deal with the horrible
>    operational characteristics of mixed-mode.
>    The answer will be "don't mix operations and notifications
>    if you are not prepared to deal with the delays or the lost
>    notifications."

We should not compromise for the sake of a compromise.

What I am interested in is to have an easy mechanism to request that
notifications are directed to a given session (by default 'this'
session if we allow mixed content) and to have that request bound to
the lifetime of the session. In other words, I am thinking of a
subscription which establishes operational state rather than a change
of the configuration of the device and hence <edit-config> might not
be the primitive of choice.

You are looking for ways to configure persistent notificiation
receivers and I agree that this is essentially a configuration change
and so <edit-config> seems to be the appropriate primitive to use.

I think the first decision to take is whether the WG wants to support
both, one, or none of the use cases.

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany