RE: comments on draft-ietf-netconf-notification-01.txt

Thanks for sending comments. See some responses in-line
Hector

HT: Could you please include the names of the reviewers so we get an
idea of what the various interested people are saying.

> -----------------------
>
> General comments:
>
>   - The draft still lacks any discussion of why we need this
>     document, what role it plays in the overall netconf architecture.

HT: Ok.

>   - The use of special RPCs, named profiles, and a read-only
> data model
>     goes against the core concept of netconf -- use the
> standard operations
>     to manipulate standard read-write data models.  The
> convoluted manner
>     in which a traditional notification generation
> application would be
>     realized would win a Rube Goldberg Machine Contest.
>
>     I strongly object to this design approach.

HT: The notification related RPCs give the user a convinient way to
request notification forwarding. While I agree that you could achieve
the same by using the NETCONF RPCs against a data model, such model does
not exist and there isn't much work in this area. Therefore, I don't see
how you can argue this point.

The named profiles provide a way to pre-configure subcription
information. What is the objection to this? In previous e-mails I
thought you also suggested having "profiles" with pre-configured
destinations. The idea is to allow for read/write access to the
subscription information.

>   - multiple subscriptions per session
>
>     I strongly object to this feature.
>     There is no rationale given for it.
>     Netconf has a single-user session model.
>     The NMS can use modify-subscription instead of creating multiple
>     subscriptions.  The NMS, not the agent, should provide this
>     additional, programmable classification service.  The complexity
>     added to the document to move this classification service to
>     the agent is unwarranted, and the feature is totally redundant.
>
>   - Event classes
>
>     I strongly object to this document defining the mandatory set of
>     event classifications.  This document should simply define a
>     field that contains a constrained string, which can be used for
>     filtering purposes.  The list still contains enumerations such as
>     'metrics' and 'heartbeat' which were supposed to be removed.
>     There are under-specified semantics and requirements for many
>     of these classifications.
>
>     The actual set of standard events is a modeling problem, and is
>     out of scope in this WG.

HT: I thought we had agreed to at least config change and syslog.

> --------------------------------------
>
> page 4:
>
>    "discusses implications for the mapping of application protocols"
>

> Is this document doing to define the normative procedures for
> supporting notifications on each transport?  I think this
> would be better than generating 4 RFCs instead of 1, but the
> WG needs to decide where the normative transport-specific
> text will be located.

HT: Ok

> ----------------
>
> page 4:
>
> NETCONF[NETCONF] --> NETCONF [NETCONF-PROTO]

HT: OK

> ---------------
>
> sec. 2:
>
> There are no examples shown for each RPC operation.
> There should be examples here instead of spread out in the
> end of the document.

HT: OK

> "This command .."
>
> Wrong terminology.
> Use RPC method or operation.

HT: OK

> -----------------
>
> page 6:
>
> <named-profile>
>
> This is still an opaque, under-specified proprietary hack.
> There should be a read-write standard data model with
> standard parameters -- and nothing else.
>
> I strongly object to this parameter.
> If vendors want to ignore the standard parameters and use
> their own instead, then XML already allows them to do that --
> we should not help them hack around the standard within the
> standard itself.
>
> ----------------
>

> <notification>
>
> Positive Response: no response, etc.
>
> This only applies to RPCs, so it can be removed here.

HT: Ok

> ------------------
>
> notification examples in section 5:
>
> It should be made clear they are only examples and are not
> normative.  The examples need to be explained as well.
>
> These examples are unrealistic.
> I don't think it's proper for the agent to return a copy of
> all the config that actually changed in a 'config-change'
> notification.
> This could be really verbose, introduce access control
> problems, and it's not really needed anyway, if the NMS is
> designed correctly.

HT: OK, will update description. Regarding you second part of the
comment... the definition of a config change
notification allows for the inclusion (or not) of the changes that took
place. Depending on the managed device, this is actually a
desired/useful behavior. In some cases the device will send a change
notification with an ID & the management station may retrieve the
associated information. In other cases, the device will send all the
changes in a notification. I disagree the examples are unrealistic.
I think the comment on access control is too generic & this may or may
not be true depending on the deployment.

> ------------------
>
> schema comments
>
> - an unspecified access control model is thrown in
>    with these 'minAccess' and 'maxAccess' <appinfo> additions.
>    There is no agreement in the WG on these XSD extensions,
>    or understanding of the functional requirements.
>
> -----------------
>
> filter example comments
>
> Sec 6.2 introduces additional 'severity=foo' filtering syntax
> without really explaining it.

HT: OK, will add explanatory text

> Not sure what this <neb> element is in the example.

HT: It's just a tag to represent the top of a model that doesn't exist.
Same as top in the NETCONF examples. Will clarify.

> <netconf:filter> is broken XML -- there is no 'netconf'
> prefix or an xmlns declared in the example.

HT: No, it's not broken XML. It is correct based on the XSD that it was
generated against. Will update to make sure there is no
misunderstandings.

> ------------------
>
> section 7.1.1.1 session lifecycle
>
> The WG did not discuss or approve any such feature.
> This watchdog-timer design doesn't work in a mixed-mode
> session very well.  The netconf agent never abruptly
> terminates a live session.  The lack of architecture
> discussion in this document jumps out in this section.  There
> is no mention of the agent constantly starting and tearing
> down sessions anywhere else.
>
> This section needs to be removed.

HT: Will look at text

> I strongly object to all of these specialized RPCs.
> If we have a proper read-write data model, the standard
> operations such as <edit-config> provide all the
> configuration manipulation features we need.
>
> The agent already has code to implement <edit-config>.
> All of these special RPCs which are used to avoid
> <edit-config> add extra code and complexity to the agent.
>
> --------------------
>
> A.2 Lifecycle
>
> This section is incorrect and needs to be removed.
> The NETCONF-PROT document already mandates certain
> non-volatile storage requirements.  This section contradicts
> that normative text.
>
> ---------------------
>
> Appendix B: Syslog within NETCONF events
>
> events --> notifications
>
> This section does dot clearly define how to encode the XML
> PDU.  This should be a normative section (and fully
> specified) or removed from the document.
>
> Notification forwarding options needs to be agreed upon by
> the WG, and fully explained in a detailed architecture section.
>
> There is no proxy in netconf, and I aim to keep it that way.

HT: Ok. So can we agree to make updates and move this section into the
main body

> Appendix C: Example Configuration Notifications
>
> This section needs to be removed.
> If the WG can agree of fully-specified standard
> notifications, then they will included in normative text.

HT: OK