RE: comments on draft-ietf-netconf-notification-01.txt

--- cut ---

Question below.
Hector

> > -----------------
> > <Andy>
> >
> > filter example comments
> >
> > Sec 6.2 introduces additional 'severity=foo' filtering
> syntax without
> > really explaining it.
> >
> > Not sure what this <neb> element is in the example.
> >
> > <netconf:filter> is broken XML -- there is no 'netconf'
> prefix or an
> > xmlns declared in the example.
> > </Andy>
> >
> > Hmmm. Need to look into these.
>

> The <neb> example is fairly broken.
> There is no way to do an OR-expression on 1 field like the
> example seems to imply.

HT: Ok, perhaps this is a mis-interpretation of the subtree filtering
use. Reading the NETCONF text it appeared that the XML in the filter
example would be treated as an OR operation. If this is a
misinterpretation could you please clarify and point me to the
appropriate rule below.

In the example there is a node called "severity" which is repeated
multiple times with diff values. Looking at the list below, if this is
considered a "list" then the example is not valid, perhaps there are
others. Anyway, if you could clarify I'd appreciate it.
thanks

"6.2.5.  Content Match Nodes

   A leaf node which contains simple content is called a "content match
   node".  It is used to select some or all of its sibling nodes for
   filter output, and represents an exact-match filter on the leaf node
   element content.  The following constraints apply to content match
   nodes:

   o  A content match node must not contain nested elements (i.e., must
      resolve to a simpleType in XSD).

   o  Multiple content match nodes (i.e., sibling nodes) are logically
      combined in an "AND" expression.

   o  Filtering of mixed content is not supported.

   o  Filtering of list content is not supported.

   o  Filtering of whitespace-only content is not supported.
o  Leading and trailing whitespace characters are ignored, but any
      whitespace characters within a block of text characters are not
      ignored or modified.

   If all specified sibling content match nodes in a subtree filter
   expression are 'true', then the filter output nodes are selected in
   the following manner:

   o  Each content match node in the sibling set is included in the
      filter output.

   o  If any containment nodes are present in the sibling set then they
      are processed further, and included if any nested filter criteria
      are also met.

   o  If any selection nodes are present in the sibling set then all of
      them are included in the filter output.

   o  Otherwise (i.e., there are no selection or containment nodes in
      the filter sibling set) all the nodes defined at this level in the
      underlying data model (and their subtrees, if any) are returned in
      the filter output.

   If any of the sibling content match node tests are 'false', then no
   further filter processing is performed on that sibling set, and none
   of the sibling subtrees are selected by the filter, including the
   content match node(s)."